Candied Bacon Streusel Sundae Topping
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Serves: Makes about 3 cups
4 strips of Niman Ranch applewood bacon
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (+2 tbsp. to sprinkle over the candied bacon)
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp reserved bacon fat
For the candied bacon:
- Lay sheets of bacon out on a tray lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle 2 T of brown sugar evenly over 4 strips of bacon.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, flipping the bacon halfway through. The brown sugar should be completely melted and the bacon will be a nice deep color.
- Wait until the bacon is cool before chopping into smaller pieces. Reserve the leftover bacon fat for the cookie crumble.
For the cookie crumble:
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Work in the butter and reserved bacon fat with your hands or a fork until coarse pieces form.
- Spread pieces on a parchment-lined sheet and bake at 325 for around 12-15 minutes, turning the tray halfway through.
- Wait until cool before tossing with the candied bacon.
Serve on a scoop (or three!) of your favorite ice cream! If you are in San Francisco or LA, we recommend Smitten Ice Cream, who developed this delicious recipe.