Eggs in Purgatory with Chorizo
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
A hearty egg and tomato stew is made into a meal that could be breakfast just as it could be dinner, by the addition of perfectly spiced chorizo sausage. It is chockfull of tender chickpeas, stewed zucchini and topped with slow simmered eggs. Serve with toasted bread and a salad for the perfect meal.
- 1 package (4 links) Niman Ranch Chorizo Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch half moons
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15-oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (16 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- Fresh parsley
- Cut sausages in half–inch rounds. In a large (12-inch) sauté pan with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté sausage until crispy, flipping half-way through, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in the same pan. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until onion is soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, zucchini and chickpeas to the pan and cook until zucchini has softened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the cooked sausage back to the pan and top with the chopped tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water. Bring everything up to a simmer.
- Crack four eggs into the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 minutes if you like your eggs runny. Increase your cook time by a minute if you like the yolks more set.
- To finish, top with fresh parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and red pepper flakes. Serve with toasted bread for dipping or a large salad.