Garden Relish Fearless Franks
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Our Garden Relish uses peppers instead of pickles but keeps a unique, subtle brightness with the addition of fennel. Top it on our Fearless Franks at your next barbecue and you might never back to the pickle version again.
You can keep your Garden Relish in the fridge for up to one week. It’s also great on burgers and sandwiches.
BBQ and Grilling Tips for Niman Ranch Fearless Franks
Use tongs to turn your hot dogs instead of a grill fork. Poking holes with the fork will release the delicious juices and you’ll end up with dry sausages. Rotate often so they cook and brown evenly.
If you’re grilling for kids and adults, build the charcoal fire on one side of the grill. Use the fireside for the char-grill that adults like and the other side to roast the sausages hot, but not charred for the kids.
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 white onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, minced
1 green bell pepper, minced
2 bulbs fennel, minced
1 to 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- Heat the dressing ingredients in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves and the dressing boils.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the relish vegetables and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Place a colander inside a bowl and scrape the relish into the colander to drain; set the relish aside.
- Pour the dressing back into the saucepan and boil on medium to medium-high heat, reducing the dressing until syrupy. This should take about 10 more minutes.
- Combine the syrup with the reserved relish in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Put in the refrigerator and let cool.
- Grill your Fearless Frank hot dogs to your liking, then put on a sesame bun. Top with relish and serve immediately.