Grilled Asian Pork Chop with Corn and Edamame Salad
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 30 minutes
This recipes make enough marinade for about 1 ½ to 2 pounds of meat. Use the lemongrass puree you find the in the produce section of the grocery store, much easier than fresh lemongrass.
Chinese rice wine is available at most Asian markets, it is a sweet, golden wine made from fermenting freshly steamed glutinous rice. Dry sherry is a suitable substitution.
6 pork loin chops, about ¾-inch thick
4 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons lemongrass puree or minced fresh lemongrass (bottom 3- inches of the stalk)
4 cloves peeled garlic
¼ cup mint leaves
2 teaspoons grated or mined ginger
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or sambal
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
Corn and Edamame Salad:
3 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cob, about 2 cups
1 cup shelled edamame
¼ cup chopped red onion
¼ cup small-diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped or grated ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper- or more to taste
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place pork chops in a container, or zipper top plastic bag, and pour in prepared marinade. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
- Remove the pork chops from the marinade, and discard the marinade. Grill chops on the grill, turning once, until meat is browned, no longer pink inside, about 8 to 10 minutes per side. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a chop should read at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C).
- Let the chops rest for about 5 minutes. Serve with white or brown rice and the Corn and Edamame Salad.
- For the Corn and Edamame Salad bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add corn and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. While the corn is cooking, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cooked corn, edamame, red onion, red bell pepper and cilantro. Pour dressing over vegetables, stir to combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.