Hearty Soup with Bratwurst and Vegetables
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
No matter what season, the addition of savory, smoky Bratwurst takes this hearty soup recipe from ordinary to a wonderfully satisfying meal. This soup is quite flexible and can easily accommodate a variety of vegetables: in summer, add tomatoes and corn; in fall or winter, chunks of squash and hearty greens such as kale; and in spring, it is wonderful with herbs and fresh peas.
Serve with a green salad and a loaf of your favorite crusty bread.
1 package Niman Ranch Brats, sliced into disks
1 quart vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 russet potatoes, chopped
1 bunch of Lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add Bratwurst and cook until brown. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and onion to the same pot and cook until soft and translucent, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook another 5 minutes until vegetables have softened, but not yet browned.
- Add vegetable stock and all other vegetables, including any seasonal vegetables you’d like to add. Cook covered over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Skim off any foam that floats to the top.
- Add sausage and cook until heated through, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.