Lamb Sausage Pizza with Arugula
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Our Lamb Program Manager loves to make this lamb sausage pizza any night of the week using his recipe for lamb sausage. Don’t want to make the whole pizza from scratch? Head over to your nearest specialty grocer and buy one of their pre-made, plain cheese pizzas from the refrigerator section. The best part about this recipe is that you get to add as little or as much of the ingredients as you like!
For the Balsamic Glaze:
1/2 cup of a good balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the pizza:
1 pie crust or home made pie crust from your favorite recipe
2 cups shredded cheese, like Mozzarella or 4-cheese blend
1 can or jar of your favorite tomato sauce
3/4 cup Lamb Sausage, formed into 1/2 inch patties
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 of a medium red onion, sliced
Herbed goat cheese
1/2 cup arugula
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a saucepot. Add granulated sugar and a couple pinches of salt. Stir to combine.
- Place the saucepot over medium heat. Once the balsamic vinegar comes to a boil, stir again, set to simmer and casually watch it while you make the rest of the pizza.
- Stamp out the lamb sausage mix evenly into 1/2 inch thick disks. Sauté on medium heat until cooked through and brown on the outside. Cube and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Choose a sour dough mix, your favorite pizza dough recipe or a pre-made, store bought dough for the crust. Flour your cooking surface and stretch or roll the crust out to your desired thickness. Fold over 1/2 inch of the edges if you like a thick crust.
- Choose a homemade or store bought tomato sauce and ladle out onto the crust.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly across the surface of the sauce, then the red onion, garlic, and cubed, pre-cooked sausage. Sprinkle your desired amount of herbed goat cheese last.
- Around this time, the balsamic glaze should be finished and set aside.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes, or until brown to your liking.
- Once cooked, turn off the oven and add the arugula and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Put it back in the warm oven for another few minutes.
- Serve immediately.