Potato and Apple Hash with Canadian Bacon
This easy breakfast hash is as beautiful as it is delicious. Serve for brunch topped with an egg cooked to your liking or as a side dish with Niman Ranch pork chops for dinner.
3/4 pound sweet potatoes, cubed
3/4 pound purple potatoes, cubed
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 packages (12 slices) Niman Ranch Uncured Canadian Bacon, diced
2 firm apples, cored and cubed
1-2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the cubed potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, and then roast until just barely soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté the onion for 1 minute, then add the bacon and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the apples, thyme and cooked potatoes to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. ‘
- Remove from the heat and garnish with extra thyme if desired. Serve warm.
The potatoes and apples in this dish can be peeled if desired or cooked with the skin on. If purple potatoes aren’t available, substitute white or red new potatoes.