Roasted Kentucky Bourbon Sausages with Greens and Grits
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 15 Minutes
Serves: 4-6 People
The flavor of Niman Ranch’s Kentucky Bourbon Sausage is highlighted with a pot of luxurious and cheesy stone-ground grits and greens.
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups stone ground grits
- 1 package Niman Ranch Kentucky Bourbon Sausages
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large bunches (8 cups) greens, such as kale, or Swiss chard, stems trimmed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup (6-oz) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 425ºF degrees. In a large 4-quart saucepan, combine the milk, vegetable stock, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 clove minced garlic and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are cooked and the mixture is thick.
- Slice the greens into ½ inch pieces; set aside. Slice sausages into 1-inch rounds. In a medium non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil and cook the sausages until just browned and crisped on the edges. Set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons oil. Add 2 cloves sliced garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the greens and cook until wilted. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook to coat the greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the grits are cooked through, stir in the mascarpone and butter. Serve grits topped with sausage and greens. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper if desired.