Savory Andouille Sausage Cornbread
Prep: 20 Minutes
Cook: 25 Minutes
Serve this savory andouille sausage cornbread warm, fresh from the oven just as is, or spread with butter, yogurt, crème fraiche, or goat cheese.
- 3 Niman Ranch Andouille Sausages
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup sliced scallions, white and green parts
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow stone ground cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Heat oven to 375°F. Roughly chop sausages into ¼-to-½-inch pieces. Remove one third (2/3 cup), and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, paprika, salt, cayenne, and thyme. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and cooled butter and add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just to combine. Fold in corn, scallions, and the chopped Andouille sausage.
- Generously grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish and spread batter in the pan. Top with reserved chopped sausage.
- Bake until top is just golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.