Spicy Corn Dog Bites
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 2-3 Minutes
Serves: 12 Mini Corn Dogs
Serve with your favorite hot dog dips and relishes. A crispy corndog coating makes these fun and tasty for kids and adults.
- 1 package Niman Ranch Fearless Franks, cut in thirds
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 6-inch wooden sticks
- Assorted condiments for dipping
- Insert a wooden stick into each piece of Freedom Franks. Pat franks thoroughly dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cayenne, onion and garlic powders. Beat the egg and the milk together and stir them into the dry ingredients.
- Heat the oil to 350°F (use a candy thermometer in the oil to monitor the temperature) in a pot deep enough to submerge the franks.
- Transfer the batter to a tall glass and dip franks into the batter to coat. Immediately submerge in oil, holding the stick with tongs out of the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a low oven while the other are fried. Serve with your favorite condiments.