Spicy Italian Sausage and Crispy Gnocchi Alla Norma
Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 1 Hour
Serves: 4 People
With the addition of Niman Ranch’s Spicy Italian Sausage this gnocchi is easily a simple and flavorful weeknight dinner.
- 2-lbs eggplant, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 6 peeled garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 17.5-oz package prepared gnocchi
- 1 package Niman Ranch Spicy Italian Sausages, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- Fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Place the cut eggplant flesh side down onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Add the garlic to the pan and drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Roast 25 minutes. Remove pan and add the drained tomatoes. Roast another 15 minutes until the eggplant is soft.
- Meanwhile cook the gnocchi according to package directions in salted water. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick skillet and add the drained, cooked gnocchi. Sauté until just golden and crisp on the sides. Set aside. In the same pan sauté 1 tablespoon oil and the sausages until just crisped.
- Remove the eggplant, garlic and tomatoes from the oven. Scoop the flesh out of eggplant into a blender or food processor, add the roasted tomatoes, garlic, salt and chili flakes. Pulse until a chunky sauce comes together. If the sauce is too thick, add the reserved tomato liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- To serve put the gnocchi and sausage on a platter and top with sauce. Top with basil and Parmesan.